CNI NeuroHealth Center
DriveABLE Cognitive Assessment Tool
What is DriveABLE?
At Colorado Neurological Institute, we know that driving is a primary concern for many of our patients. Patients are often eager to return to driving after experiencing an injury or illness. Those who are currently driving and have a progressive illness or are dealing with changing abilities from aging frequently have questions about their safety behind the wheel. That's why we're excited to offer a best-practice, evidence-based tool for evaluating the cognitive abilities necessary to drive – the DriveABLE Cognitive Assessment Tool (DCAT). The CNI NeuroHealth Center, a non-profit outpatient rehabilitation clinic, is one of only two providers in the Rocky Mountain region offering DCAT.
How Does it Work?
The DriveABLE Cognitive Assessment Tool is a stand-alone, push-button touch-screen system with advanced software that is highly predictive of actual on-road driving performance. DCAT's six tasks precisely measure and record performance on 22 different variables relevant to driving. These six tasks include:
Motor speed/control (ability to quickly and accurately respond to unpredictable events)Span of attentional field (ability to attend to information throughout your visual field)Spatial judgment and decision-making (ability to make judgments/decisions about yourself and the space/objects around you)Speed of attentional shifting (ability to shift attention quickly from one item/event to another)Executive function (ability to multitask and coordinate mental and physical activities)Identification of driving situations (ability to watch for obstacles or hazards in the driving environment)
Results, which include age-normed performance on the six tasks and an overall score indicating how you would likely perform in an on-road evaluation, are sent to your referring physician to be used as a tool for helping determine if you are safe to drive. There are 3 categories of results:
- Pass and able to drive
- In-determinant and should take an on-the-road test
- Fail and should not be driving
Benefits to Patients and Physicians
- Evidence-based decision-making. DriveABLE takes the subjective out of assessing a patient's cognitive abilities to drive.
- Scientifically validated and field-tested. DriveABLE uses a proprietary algorithm developed through research and validated through thorough field testing.
- User-friendly. A touch-screen system makes it easy for all patients to navigate regardless of computer skill level.
- Affordable. $150 for an in-clinic assessment. If an on-road assessment with a DriveABLE driving instructor is recommended, the cost is $150.
- Convenient. Total assessment time is about an hour.
- Administered by a licensed therapist.
- Patient Referrals & Additional Information
Referrals to the CNI NeuroHealth Center for a DriveABLE Cognitive Assessment require a presciption. To schedule an appointment or if you seek additional information about DCAT, please contact us at 303.788.4010 or toll-free at 855.463.6264. Additional info can be found at www.driveable.com.
DCAT does not solve the driving issue for everyone. It is a cognitive assessment only. Individuals with impairments requiring physical modifications for driving must still do the standard driving evaluation with a driving-certified occupational therapist.